**NEW** Visit my Gift Shop to see and purchase my favorite things for organizing, self discovery, marriage and parenting!

Techy Tuesday: Techy Room Planners

I'm all about planning and, these days especially, I'm all about no cost organizing and planning. Since such things have been on my brain as of late, I thought I'd share some of my techy faves for planning rooms that don't cost a cent, but make a big impact on my peace of mind as I contemplate yet another move.
 My Favorite Room Planner Website
If you're on Pinterest, this site is not new to you, but chances are you may not have had a chance to play with the site yet either. Now that I'm in a moving state of mind, I finally got the chance to put my pin to work and check out the goodness that is UrbanBarn.com's The Make Room.
What I love about it
It's free to use without registration! Yay! Simply go in, launch, find your floor plan and play. If you want to save your work, you will have to create a free account. No biggie, right? Free and functional is the key to this post and The Make Room makes that possible.

Another great thing about this site is that there are an abundance of options to help you plan your room. From product photos to stock clip art furniture and structures, anything you would imagine putting in your room is accessible here. You can even link up a product you've seen on your favorite website and stick it in your room with their photo tool!

What I found difficult
First timers, beware. Patience will be tested here because if you don't know what you're doing with the functions, you will get frustrated like I did and waste precious time. Also, because it runs on Adobe Flash, right clicking can get you nowhere fast. Running Flash also means that you need a laptop or desktop and mouse to use the site. This is a no go for you mobile browsers.

My Favorite Room Planner App
Because I love a good excuse to use my techy gadgets, I loved the fact that I found an app where I can room plan for free! Being organized and frugal is a definite plus in my book. Check out Living Spaces room planner app Living Spaces Tablet.
What I love about it
Free and easy to use. Unlike The Make Room, I felt right at home using the app and felt like the user interface was simple and intuitive. It knew what I wanted and I knew how to manipulate things. With a few swipes and taps, I was able to make and rearrange furniture without lifting a finger {pun intended...iPad humor}.
What I found difficult
The only thing I found to be difficult was that if you don't own an iPad, you cannot play. It seems that with both of these resources, accessibility is everything. I have yet to find a room planner that can go from iPad to website to iPhone without costing a pretty penny. But beggars can't be choosers, right?

Tips before you play
Measure first
In order to get an accurate picture of what you're dealing with, it's best to measure everything before you play in a planner, otherwise, you could be wasting time with all your grand plans of rearranging only to find out that you didn't really have an accurate plan.

Learn the functions
As I mentioned before with The Make Room, if I had taken the time to learn how to resize, rotate and rearrange, I might have saved myself some frustration in trying to learn as I played. Save yourself the pain and learn how to work everything before you apply it to your room planning.

Save color for last
You may be tempted to go straight to the decor part and playing with colors, but save the frilly stuff for last. Get an idea of what your working with first, then you can splash color around to finish off the space.

I love that technology has given me the gift of being able to plan my room with the tools that professionals use. It also helps to have these tools to keep myself from breaking my back trying to rearrange furniture only to find that I don't like the layout. Technology once again has made one aspect of life a bit easier.

Have you taken advantage of these fabulous techy tools? Now that you've seen what they can do, are you more inclined to try? 'Fess up in the comments.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...